Tuesday, June 14, 2016

ONE DAY TRIP TO DOWNTOWN MANHATTAN
+ VLOG


It was a weekend when I decided it was time for me and Jeremy to go back to New York.


We really aren't in the best terms as I was initiating fights out of nowhere and acting as if I was a lunatic--I was in my period that time (I know, I know, how dare I blame my monthly menstrual cycle for my decisions in life. I'm sorry). All my drama stopped when I started thinking of places to go to for our 6th month together (I was actually thinking he'd get tired celebrating monthly "anniversaries", but bruh, he ain't). I had to lie and say I want to go to this place in Jersey where there's a lot of murals we can take pictures of; that lie didn't even last 'til our anniversary because yah girl don't know how to keep a friggin' lie. *rolls-eyes*

PATH Train to World Trade Center | Jeremy trying so hard to keep a straight face, LOL.

Our itinerary for that day mainly consists of 1) Baohaus, 2) 10Below, 3) Madison Square Park/Iron Building, 4) Image Anime, and 5) Brooklyn Bridge. We've successfully visited four out five with additional places because you know New York, once you get there, you know you're going to start walking (Jeremy and I kind of cheated though, LOL).

NYC Subway

Our trip pretty much started at the light rail station. Going to New York with a car is really not your best bet if you can't handle heavy traffic from both pedestrians and drivers--plus the stress of getting a parking spot. As residents of New Jersey and momma NY's neighbors, we decided to take the rails instead (you can take the bus as well!) as it was the easiest and cheapest course for us. From Branch Brook Park Station to Newark Penn Station ($1.6/person) and NPS to World Trade Center ($5.5/person round trip) using the PATH Train.

Honored names by one of the memorial pools | World Trade Center

As we exit WTC, we were greeted by this fish bone kind of structure which I found out to be PATH's Transportation Hub built by Architect Santiago Calatrava. The memorial waterfall pools can be easily seen as soon as you exit the building. Walking around the area, Jeremy and I saw the Charging Bull by Broadway and Morris St and realized that, yeah, we are definitely missing. We were walking in circles like real tourists! Haha.

Once we found our way, though, I was a tad bit confident about where we are going (although Jeremy would ask me from time to time if we're going to the right direction, LOL). Really good murals along the way can be seen around NYC--and of course, we had to do a little photoshoot!

Random murals along the way | Fjallraven Store

Jeremy and I immediately realized we entered Chinatown as soon as we saw the crowd of tourists and locals in the area as well as the variety of Asian restaurants, cafes, and what nots. We passed by stores in Chinatown like the Silk Road Cafe and Chinatown Fair Family Fun Center just to order some bubble tea--because SUMMAH HEAT, and arcade place, because DUH, it's an arcade place. We also located 10Below, a dessert store with pretty decent looking atmosphere in a basement area at Chinatown. But since Jeremy and I were planning to buy dessert after we had lunch from Baohaus, we kept the area in mind for later.


Baohaus & 10Below

Walking from Chinatown to Baohaus was easy peasy--a lot easier than looking for Chinatown itself.


Baohaus is an Asian hip-hop restaurant owned by Eddie Huang. Jeremy have always wanted to go here since he heard about the place from one of the videos of The Fung Bros. and I believe the Vice Stories as well (?). I was blown away when I realized that the TV Show, Fresh Off the Boat, was based on Eddie Huang's real life. Jeremy have been telling me that Eddie Huang from FOTB founded the place, but I was so confused because I was thinking of the actor instead. I was literally thinking, "How can a kid own a hit restaurant in such a young age?". Haha!




Now, with the food, Jeremy and I figured we should at least try something of everything they are offering so we ordered: a chairman and birdhaus bao, taro fries, minced pork stew on rice, and an aiyu jelly lemonade. Jeremy and I liked the chairman bao sooo much. The pork belly is so juicy and soft and the sauce just made it awfully perfect! The taro fries, moreover, is something out of the ordinary--the sauce that comes with it is just way too good. The rice bowl we ordered comes in a really good portion good for two people, and the aiyu jelly lemonade was something Jeremy and I didn't expect.


Before Jeremy and I went back to 10Below, we went to Madison Square Park to visit the Iron Building and Image Anime


Unfortunately, I couldn't take enough pictures of both places. The building is exactly against the sun--I'm lucky enough to know basic photo editing. And about Image Anime... I was too excited about all their action figures from different animes (though they offer more merchandise than that; Jeremy and I bought a Chopper and Luffy phone charms!). I've never seen goodies in such good qualities, it's a must-see for anime geeks like me and Jeremy, LOL.

After visiting the Iron Building and Image Anime, Jeremy and I went to the nearest subway station--we can't walk anymore, our legs are dying! While we were at the fairly crowded station (considering it was NYC), I realized that we actually are not that prepared as it took us time to get our cards refilled. We were like old couples who doesn't know how to use modern technology. Haha! After pressing random numbers, we refilled our metro card; this time it isn't the mandatory $5.5 unlike the machines at Newark Penn Station.

We hopped off at Park Place, and walked back to 10Below. This time without getting lost.


Once we arrived at 10Below, Jeremy and I couldn't believe how long the line is. As what mah baby boo said, "It's ridiculous!". LOL. I can't remember how long we had to wait just to get our ice cream, but both of us didn't give up.


10Below offers their desserts for $7 each with unlimited toppings. They have a number of different mixes that they will mash together on a sort of frozen circle surface. Jeremy ordered Matcha Made In Heaven while I ordered Smores Galore with condensed milk and strawberries on top. I liked mine enough, although Jeremy said it tastes almost like regular ice cream. It offers a unique way of serving ice cream, but the flavor it gives plus the long line and crowd gave it away. I would recommend going early afternoon to avoid the crowd. I guess it's an okay dessert for me and Jeremy.

After getting our ice cream, we've decided to skip Brooklyn Bridge for now. It was getting a little late and our legs are seriously about to break down to the point Jeremy and I are getting a little cranky. LMAO. So we walked back to WTC, hopped on the train, and had a little rest on our way home.

That pretty much sums our one day trip to Lower Manhattan. How about you guys? Have you been to Manhattan? What have you visited? I would appreciate recommendations so much!

xoxo,
Aizel

-

You can see more of this trip in the video below!



No comments :

Post a Comment